73. The Middle – Jimmy Eat World
- #5 for 1 Week in 2002 (June)
- Best higher charting song: Without Me - Eminem
- Worst higher charting song: I Need a Girl (Part One) - P. Diddy
- Top 100 #5 Hits 1955-2004 Rank: #39
Early 00s rock on the pop charts was trapped between numetal (Linkin Park, Staind, Puddle of Mudd) and post-Nirvana disaffection (Green Day, 3 Doors Down). Jimmy Eat World, then, represents a ray of sunlight not in terms of production or sound but topic. Whether a conscious response to 9/11 or just needing to rock out in the summer of '02, it was finally a guitar and drums set up that was able to power some hope in addition to chords. It was desperately needed at the time and remains radio friendly today.
Coming up: #72 - "I think that life's too short for this"