3. California Dreamin' – The Mama's & Papa's
- #4 for 1 Week in 1966 (March)
- Best higher charting song: These Boots Were Made for Walkin' - Nancy Sinatra
- Worst higher charting song: The Ballad of the Green Berets - SSgt. Barry Sadler
- Top 100 #4 Hits 1955-2003 Rank: #11
"And I pretend to pray"? Really? This song has so many levels that I haven't explored them all, but the yearning for the American West as mythic places this song as highly in 20th Century American history as it does on this list. In it, the mid-Century crisis of faith and institutions degrade and authority and relationship become cheap. All delivered by vocalists with a deep well of personal anguish but never over the top.
Coming up: #2 - "And the moon is the only light we will see"