37. Something to Talk About - Bonnie Raitt
- #5 for 1 Week in 1991 (October)
- Best higher charting song: Do Anything - Natural Selection
- Worst higher charting song: Romantic - Karyn White
- Top 100 #5 Hits 1955-2004 Rank: #41
It is easy to dump holy water on Raitt's big pop/rock outing and say, 'see, women in rock' and be done with it. But even that sells short the sheer scale of the project. This was an effort for Bonnie Raitt not just to enter the rock canon but to be as good as, say, Tom Petty and she pulled it off. Remember that this album was post-Madonna, Post-Whitney and concurrent with Mariah's second album. The trajectory for female singers had been set and Bonnie Raitt just did her thing and did it awesomely. This radio-friendly confection is not her best showing of the time, but it certainly merits a position in the top 40.
Coming up: #36 - "This time I have really led myself astray"