#196. It's My Party - Lesley Gore
- #1 for 2 Weeks in 1963 (June)
- Replaced: If You Wanna Be Happy - Jimmy Soul
- Replaced by: Sukiyaki - Kyu Sakamoto
- Sample Headline from its Reign: Israel executes Adolf Eichmann.
- #2 Hits It Prevented from Reaching #1: None
- Top 200 #1 Hits 1955-2000 Rank: #90
It's My Party remains one of the biggest pre-Beatles songs that typifies what chanteuses were doing before soul fundamentally changed the landscape. Lesley Gore did not have as many top tens as Brenda Lee or Connie Francis and while Phil Spector's girl groups are better remembered today, It's My Party stands out as a singular achievement in capturing both a good story and a memorable riff.
Coming up: #195 - "I sweep the streets I used to own"