98. You Got It – New Kids on the Block
- #3 for 1 Week in 1989 (March)
- Best higher charting song: Lost in Your Eyes - Debbie Gibson
- Worst higher charting song: The Living Years - Mike + The Mechanics
- Top 100 #3 Hits 1955-2002 Rank: #93
The lynchpin of the boy band movement. It didn't reach number one because it came too soon, but New Kids and their subsequent followers (everything from Color Me Badd to One Direction) really first were propelled by hits like this one. Stupid, repetitive but infectious and dancey. So in '89 this passed for tough, but we were all in on it. This was blatant ploy for headphones and video plays and it came across in a family package. For teenpop, every bit as important as Whole Lotta Love was to classic rock.
Coming up: #97 - "You know that I can take it to the next level baby"