62. If You Leave – Orchestral Maneouvers in the Dark
- #4 for 1 Week in 1986 (May-June)
- Best higher charting song: Live to Tell - Madonna
- Worst higher charting song: On My Own - Patti LaBell & Michael McDonald
- Top 100 #4 Hits 1955-2003 Rank: #99
Certainly, OMD would have never had a top ten without being in a film soundtrack. Certainly, much of this song's added oomph comes from being from a movie that lends it gravitas. Certainly, there are better songs about how the end of a relationship would become burned bridges. But despite all of this (and maybe when it came out is a factor too), If You Leave is iconic and memorable through its soaring vocal lines and gently moving synth.
Coming up: #62 -"Y'all act like you never seen a white person before"