66. Sunshine – Jonathan Edwards
- #4 for 3 Weeks in 1972 (January - February)
- Best higher charting song: American Pie - Don McLean
- Worst higher charting song: Brand New Key - Melanie
- Top 100 #4 Hits 1955-2003 Rank: #34
The jangly folk guitar of Johnathan Edwards is a good counterpoint to increasingly overproduced sacchrine of the early 70s. Edwards manages throughout a song about being angry and jealous to maintain a positive attitude. At no point does this song feel tough or hard around the edges. Even noted marshmallow James Taylor can find a rough edge when he needs one, but this is as smooth and catchy a tune as any in Taylor's canon and it does it with joy. That this is a mismatch for the timbre of the song doesn't bother me so much, but then, I like They Might Be Giants.
Coming up: #65 -"Put on your high heels shoes"