26. Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology) – Marvin Gaye
- #4 for 2 Weeks in 1971 (August-September)
- Best higher charting song: Mr. Big Stuff - Jean Knight
- Worst higher charting song: Signs - The Five Man Electrical Band
- Top 100 #4 Hits 1955-2003 Rank: #57
Social conscience songs have always had a rough time and while What's Goin' On was a plaintive cry for understanding, Mercy Mercy Me is a shot right at the polluters. It is hard to know what the impact of such a song could be and the productions leaves us without yearning or a beat. But Gaye's performance ends being so haunting and distant that it's impossible to ignore. Our need for statement music is pretty limited, but in the hands of a true talent, they can be hard to ignore.
Coming up: #25 - "And a taste of honey is worse than none at all"