40. Sultans of Swing – Dire Straits
- #4 for 2 Weeks in 1979 (April)
- Best higher charting song: I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor
- Worst higher charting song: What a Fool Believes - The Doobie Brothers
- Top 100 #4 Hits 1955-2003 Rank: #21
Sure, it's a little bloodless... lacking passion perhaps. But sometimes technical virtuosity is enough. Knopfler's Claptonesque guitar carries an otherwise forgettable song about a London pick-up pub band and transforms into something eternal and mysterious. The vocals, which are closer to Dylan than American Idol, convey a raw simplicity without creating stumbling block. This song's rise during the heyday of disco is a further plaudit and speaks to the irony of a rock song about a swing band.
Coming up: #39 -"You say you're gonna leave, gonna take that big white bird"